To make Central Information Commission (CIC) Online accessible various features are being incorporated which are:
- Skip to Main Content: Quick access to the core content on the page is provided without going through repetitive navigation using the keyboard.
- Accessibility Options: Options to change the size of the text and set a color scheme are provided. For example, if you are using a mobile device to access this Portal, the text might appear smaller on the screen that makes it difficult to read. In such a situation, you can use this option to increase the size of the text for clear visibility and better readability.
- Descriptive Link Text: Brief description of a link is provided using descriptive phrases instead of just using words such as 'Read more' and 'Click here' as linked text. For example, if a link opens a PDF file, the description specifies its file size. Further, if a link opens a Web site in a new window, the description specifies same.
- Table Headers: The table headings are marked and associated with their corresponding cells in each row. For example, if there are 30 rows and 5 columns in a table, it is difficult for a user with visual disability to identify which data cell belongs to which header. In this situation, an assistive device such as a screen reader can read the column header of any cell for the user. In addition, captions are also specified for each table that act as labels and indicate what data is provided in the table.
- Headings: The Web page content is organized using appropriate headings and subheadings that provide a readable structure. H1 indicates the main heading, whereas H2 indicates a subheading. In addition, for the screen reader users, there are hidden headings in this Portal that are read out by a screen reader for better readability.
- Titles: An appropriate name for each Web page is specified that helps you to understand the page content easily.
- Alternate Text: Brief description of an image is provided for users with visual disability. If you are using a browser that supports only text or have turned off the image display, you can still know what the image is all about by reading the alternate text in absence of an image.
- Explicit Form Label Association: A label is linked to its respective control, such as text box, check box, radio button, and drop-down list. This enables the assistive devices to identify the labels for the controls on a form.
- Consistent Navigation Mechanism: Consistent style of presentation throughout the Web site is incorporated.
- Keyboard Support: The Portal can be browsed using a keyboard by pressing the Tab and Shift + Tab keys.
- Customized Text Size: The size of the text on the Web page can be changed either through the browser, through the Accessibility Options feature or through Image Icons which are available on each page.